Saturday, February 18, 2006

Garner, Babies, and Gunshot Wounds

So...we jumped forward a month for the first time. No immediate aftershock of the Cloud Nine incedent...we still see Lee's injury holding through. It feels a little awkward to make this jump after the smooth line the rest of the series drew.

Dee is looking less and less like a Cylon to me...unless this is another Baltar-Six relationship.

That was a really intense moment between Lee and Kara. She shot him and feels remorse and anger with herself, he was shot and feels disgust toward his so-called friend. You could still see that Apollo-Starbuck bond come through when she gives him the look that says, "I didn't mean to, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, it was confusing in there...please forgive me." His return is, "I should not have crossed that line. I want to forgive you, but..." (Oh boy....the end of the episode just completely negated this paragraph.)

The introduction of the new commander I found trivial at first, but he seems to have a clear reputation. From his actions, you see that he is both and imbecile, and that there is a stark lines in the blending of the crews. The Pegasus crews will only listen to the command of another Pegasus original. This speaks to human pride getting in the way of everything, which so far seems to be a theme in the episode.

Quote of the Night:
"What was Garner's flaw?" -Bill
"He was used to working with machines. Command is about people." -Lee

I just bothers me a trifle that the last time we saw Apollo, he was a captain...then he was a major...and now he is a commander. Really working up the chain of command quickly. Speaking of working which....Gaius is certianly aiming for a key position in the government. My "pet Cylons" are certainly falling into place....

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to be so glad you were spoiler free for the last three episodes of the season. I should tell you that the finale is a 90 minute episode, so remember that when you set your taping up.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Apollo and Starbuck are hugging, some people have reported hearing him whisper "Forever." Others only hear an exhalation.

2:18 PM  
Blogger (and Ernie) said...

Upon further review (replaying the sequence 5 times with my ear against the speaker), Starbuck exhales, then nods. Lee just stands there...robotically. This is more of an "okay, so we ARE good" than anything else. I think the people who heard that want Starbuck and Apollo to hook up instead of Dee.

P.S. I'm always happy I'm spoiler-free.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't watch the short preview at the end of each episode, I take it. Or do you watch a channel other than SciFi?

7:32 PM  
Blogger (and Ernie) said...

I sometimes see some of the teaser, but usually I have my eyes closed, ears plugged, and I'm saying, "Lalala I'm not listening!"

7:34 PM  
Blogger starchild said...

interesting choice of picking Lee as the next pegasus commander/captain, whatever he got promoted to. The last three pegasis commanders have all died, in very quick succession. Is it a reverse oedipus complex?

Well probably not.... but I do feel uncomfortable with papa Adama promoting Lee to be in charge. I have to assume there will be much discontent in the military among those who have been passed over. Not to mention how freaked out Ellen must be over this. She would want Tigh to get the job.

I'm guessing this will be a short command. It seems at first glance that the show has boxed themselves in a bit here... Lee has a lot more options for story line as a fighter pilot than he does essentially playing the same role as his father. ...having Lee and Starbuck running out together as fighter pilots is just good plain fun. I think they will be back to that one way or another in a few episodes... next season perhaps.


Have to say though.... if Lee's cylon programming doesn't kick in when he has control of a battlestar.... then when does it kick in? The only thing bigger might be the eventual discovery of earth.

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The next episode is tomorrow, yay!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone else feel that the abortion v. right-to-life controversy introduced here was a bit heavy handed? It was an interesting twist in the context of the "repopulation of the species" argument, but something about it seemed somewhat contrived. Anyone else feel the same?

12:49 PM  
Blogger (and Ernie) said...

I agree with you...for the most part. It came on a little strong, but it was used as an opening for Gaius, and also tied into Sharon's child. It was a pretty big pin plot-wise...maybe not important in itself, but it holds together other lines.

12:52 PM  
Blogger starchild said...

wow..... five minutes into the new episode.... so far this is very cool!

7:10 PM  
Blogger (and Ernie) said...

Curse this pacific time zone! I won't see the episode for another 6 hours (have to catch the second showing tonight)...

7:31 PM  
Blogger starchild said...

oh yikes!.... I'll keep quiet. Six hours?? still very cool though.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home